Re: 1.7 -> 2.0 swap

> > Would a 2.0 8V drop in with reasonable ease?
>
> If your talking an A3 2.0, it will fit, but there are
> clearance issues, click on the engine swap link here
> for more info:
>
> http://www.volkswagen.org/

Thanks for the link!  I'll be sure to check it out.

Shine Racing Service sells a 2.0l "Tallblock" shortblock (for a price, of
course), as well as an "adapter kit" to fit in A1/A2/A3 vehicles.  Looks
like it's a built-up ABA engine.  Do you think it will have clearance
issues, also?  (Info can be found at http://www.srsvw.com/eng.htm--about
halfway down the page.)  I haven't done much shopping for transplant engines
yet, so feel free to offer your opinions.

> In my opinion, the Audi 3A 2.0 shortblock is the best
> in my opinion, it's a CIS engine and you can use a 1.8
> VW head. You still have issues (distributor), but no
> clearance issues.

That sounds like a very good option, indeed.  Thanks again for the great
info.

I plan to eventually add a turbo.  Should this have any bearing on
transplant options?  For example, should I upgrade to a 1.8l instead, or put
in a 1.8T and chip it, etc?

Thanks!
Mike Carlson
'75 Scirocco "Helga" - R.I.P.
'85 Scirocco "Konrad" - Gone but not forgotten
'95 GTI VR6 "Wolfgang" - http://members.home.net/m-carlson/Wolfgang.htm