Re: 1.7 -> 2.0 swap

--- Michael Carlson <m-carlson@home.com> wrote:
> Rather than go to the Eureka Springs VW show this
> weekend, I travelled to
> the Arkansas/Missouri border to look at a Scirocco
> for sale (only $350!).
> It has a born-on date of 5/82, which means it has
> the 1.7l engine.  My
> original plan for the project 'rocco was to start
> with a 1.8l 8V and build
> it up, but now I'm considering buying this car and
> putting a 2.0 8V in it
> and going from there.
>
> What type of fuel injection does the 1.7 have?
> Would a 2.0 8V drop in with
> reasonable ease?  Are there any other considerations
> I should be aware of?

If your talking an A3 2.0, it will fit, but there are
clearance issues, click on the engine swap link here
for more info:

http://www.volkswagen.org/

In my opinion, the Audi 3A 2.0 shortblock is the best
in my opinion, it's a CIS engine and you can use a 1.8
VW head. You still have issues (distributor), but no
clearance issues.

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM

For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.