Re: oil light and q's on oil pressure

--- VW FREAK <farmracer@mindspring.com> wrote:
> what weight oil are you using? the oil light in my
> jetta would come on, and
> I found out that the prev. owner ran 10w30 in it. I
> switched to 20w50 and
> never had another problem. also could be the little
> circuit board in the
> speedo getting funky- my rocco does this from time
> to time- turn it off and
> recrank it and it is fine.
> Ken N.
> 1986 Jetta GLI 8V == PARTING OUT
> 1988 Jetta GLS 8V == Alive and Driving!
> 1989 Jetta Carat 8V == Low and Fast
> 1985 Scirocco Wolfsburg 8V== Red
> 1985 Mercury Capri 5.8L==SOLD
> http://www.mindspring.com/~farmracer/slidehawk.htm

The oil sending unit has been replaced down near the
filter. The buzzer isn't going off anymore. Your point
about oil weight is a good one.  Right now it is
running 5w-30. The oil pressure was tested and found
to be 13 psi at idle and 32 psi at 2000 rpms. I'm not
sure, but maybe it should be a little higher than
this? Isn't 40 psi the norm? I was going to switch to
10w-30. Seems that might make the difference? Somebody
told me to use the same wt. oil your using today...but
not in the winter.

Jorel Jackson

87 16v
85 8v