Re: phaqing flanges

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:19:26 PDT "Joe Doty" <rocco2nr@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Anyone offer me some tips on how to remove these things?  I don't
> think mine are spring loaded cuz I got my tranny from an 88 gti.  I
made my own
> ghetto tool to press them in and they didn't move at all, and the clips
are
> a pain the phaqing ass!
> Thanks
>
> Joe
> 88 16v project

You're right, they are a pain in the ass... And the '88 GTI transaxle
came from the factory with the springs behind the flanges.

The flange gets pressed in by just a tiny amount, it is almost not
noticible.
Look right at the clip as you turn the tool to release the pressure.
Once you got the tool on there all the way, tap a little on the circlip
with a punch and hammer, just to break it loose.

Are you using a circlip tool with the knurls on the outside? If not buy
one...

My tool just fits inside the flange, in the channel by the clip, this
makes it easier to work the clip off.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V