Re: '79 Mk1 16V conversion complete, but no start

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:09:13 -0700 "Alex Ting" <alext@nu2u.net> writes:

> Ben,
>
> do you have spark?  Slap a timing light on the coil wire to see, and
> if you have spark there, slap it on one of the plug wires.
> If no spark, check the hall sender as per Bentley.
>
> Alex Ting
That is a good way to check for spark, but I'm bewildered, how can the
coil produce a spark if the hall sender is bad?

> >Well, it's been quite an odyssey, but my '79 Scirocco is all put
> back together. (except for the interior, but that's another story).
> However, as is typically the case with these things, it won't start
now.  My
> donor engine came out of an '87 GTI and a friend and I completely
rewired
> the car using as much of that harness as we could.  The fuel pump turns
on
> with the key, and there's plenty of fuel pressure, at least at the
> cold-start valve. (I forgot to fully tighten that one, causing a little
gasoline
> shower.)Does this mean the rest of the injectors are pressurized too?
Probably, but not necessarily since the cold start valve is not pressure
activated like the injectors are.

> >The problem appears to be spark related.  I've got duplicates of
> all computers, but both my GTI and the Scirocco 16V donor car ran just
> before they were wrecked.  I'd like to check all of the other stuff
before
> I mess with the computers.  I'm going to do a full test per the Bentley

> tomorrow, it's just too damn late now.  If anyone's got some hints or
tips,
> or if you just want to commiserate about your 16V swap, then please
email me.

> >Three hours of sleep before work.  Woo-Hoo!
> >
> >Ben R
The only thing that I can think of Ben, did you change the load wire that
goes to the coil?

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V