Re: euro city lights

Jason Arms wrote:

> scirocco.org, i have only one question:  How did everyone who put euro
> lihgts in their cars wire up the city lights, or how were they wired in the
> stock euro cars?  The procedure on scirocco.org says to wire them into the
> parking lights, but that would make them run even when the headlights are
> on.  I have colored city lights so it would be pretty dumb if they ran while
> my lights were on.  I would like to avoid drilling a hole into my uncracked
> dash to put a switch in, i would rather have them work the way they are
> supposed to.  Anyone.......

   I wired my city lights to the wire that provides power to the backup
switch on the tranny.  This way, my city lights are always on, and when
its dusk, they can be on without having to turn on my parking lights.  I
too didnt want to have them on only with the parking lights.  If you are
worried about having them on with your headlights, dont... your
headlights should drown out your city lights, but as rich said, I guess
it would depend on the color of bulb you use.  If you are paranoid about
using any color other than clear or yellow and the effect it might have
on the local authorities, I would put the cities on a switch so as to
quickly turn them off should you see the black & whites.  Here are some
pics of mine with Green city lights.

http://www.effervescent.com/andre/city_lights/

BTW, when I wired up my city lights, the bulbs I used were 8 watt bulbs.
At a full 13+ volts, the green was too bright, so I made a voltage
divider with another bulb placed in series with the city bulbs.  This
dimmed them down and gave the headlight more of a neat reflective look,
rather than this bright green spot eminating from the front of my car.
I believe the stock wattage for the clear bulb is 4 watts.  If you are
using blue or purple bulbs, you may not need or want to dim them down as
they dont get as bright cuz of the darker tint on them.  Thats my 0.02

 Andre'
 Lime Green 79