Re: Tire Sizing

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:42:48 -0700 (PDT) Mark Peele <type53@yahoo.com>
writes:
> --- freshapple <freshapple@mac.com> wrote:
> > I was looking around for tires and what sizes might
> > fit on the stock 16v teardrop 14" rims.  I ended up getting
205/60-14s on
> > them and I really like them.  There is no rubbing when I am driving
> > hard in corners. even with Eibach pro-kit springs  There is only
slight
> > rubbing if the steering wheel is turned all they way.  I don't know
> > if anyone has heard of anyone running tires this big, but I wanted as
> > wide of a tire as I could get.  Some people told me it couldn't be
done,
> > but alas, it has.
>
> It's been done before.
>
> IMHO, that's a tall tire. It'll cost ya in terms of
> acceleration . . . and your speedo will overstate your
> speed.
>
> More tire is not always better . . .
The speedo will show a slower speed, than what you are actually doing.

"Breddare är bättre", but ONLY if you reduce the sidewall ratio.

If you wanted a wide tire for a 14 x 6 teardrop, 195 55 14 would've been
the size to go with.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car, 185 60 14 will have 195 50 15
'83 GTI, 195 50 15
'84 Scirocco,  185 60 14
'80 Scirocco, 175 70 13
 '88 Scirocco 16V, 185 60 14