Re: On Topic and Outta Control

>Ragtop Update:
>
>My 78 is totally apart for restoration and a major engine swap.  I am
>prepping the body for paint, welding a few cracks and rusty spots and
>replacing most of the rubber seals.  I am almost done with the fiberglass
>repair to my Zender Exclusiv kit and should begin molding it into the body
>by mid winter.  The motor is the exciting part though.  I am matching up a
>1.8 87 16V Roc head with a 95 golf ABA bottom end.  Yes it's complicated and
>will yield only 8:1 compression .......but thats good because it is also
>getting a Garret T3 turbo, intercooler and programmable ignition.  Im
>shooting for 250+ HP at 15lbs boost.  The car will be streetable if the CA
>smog Nazis let me pass with my old certified RD swap sticker.

This sounds great Brian, says that "you've arrived". :)

>I am also wiring up a 16V dash, MFA cluster and removing the A/C completely.
>Full roll cage and coilovers are on the menu before Capitol Caper 2001.
>
>So that is what Im doing in the 5 minutes a day that work/kids/wife/life
>doesn't take up.

I am sooo in touch with that myself.

>What are you doing that's COOL???

In my struggle to have a faster MK2 16v then TMB's Mk1 16v, (Ha! :) )
and a car that will score more points then Carl Kotch's on the show
circuit (yeah, I want it all, so?) I'll be doing a few mods....

Probably a set of Unorthodox pulleys (now that I'm no longer fearful
of losing the vibration damper because I eliminated the bad alternator
bearings), a 3.94 R&P with a .75 fifth, and maybe (just maybe) a
Techtonics 16v race header.  On the inside, I'm totally revamping
my ICE (thanks UBID!), recarpeting some things, putting in some
lightweight racing buckets and shoulder harnesses, a retrimmed
leather rear seat. and a new sunroof inner liner and outer seal.

I'm also strongly considering going to coilovers...just because I
can't leave well enough alone...anyone have any favorite spring
rates they're using?

Yeah, I'm staying busy. :-}

>Brian Honnold

==Brett