Re: [8v,tech,horror] Brake Adventures! (long)

Damn - that is EXACTLY what happened to me.  The only
difference was that the whole screw had been snapped
off the last time rotors were changed by PO, and it
was both sides.  I drilled out the drivers side,
snapped a tap off inside the hole, beat it out with a
nail-set which also broke off inside the hole, and was
finally able to clean everything out with the little
stub of the tap that was left over...

Pain in the ass, but worth it to get rid of the
rotor-rattle going down the road...

Mark

> however, has a bit of a glitch; the mounting screw
> for the rotor was
> rusted in solid. And the screwdriver hole was almost
> stripped (apparently
> a previous owner had tried taking it off and
> failed). Liquid Wrench didn't
> help, so I ended up drill it out. Things got really
> annoying when I tried
> getting the remaining part of the screw out of the
> hub; tried using a
> screw extractor and ended up having the end of it
> snap off inside the hole
> I had drilled. At that point I gave up on it and
> decided to put it all

=====
Mark
Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear it

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/