Re: engine smoking!

Probably bad rings. Previous owner most likely just didn't change
the oil enough unfortunately. I have the same problem at 100k, and i
used to have a hole in my flex joint too: I would unplug the
O2 sensor until you replace the downpipe or joint, but it's
prob. not the cause of your smoking. To confirm my suspicions,
I took the car in to have a leak-down test and sure enough, it
leaked 10% across all four all through the rings meaning it's
time for a ring job. A compression test can tell you that some part
of your engine is worn, but the leak-down can isolate it. I recommend
it. Now, that was 2 years ago and I've just kept on driving but
having to add oil at every other highway stop (SUCKs!). I was going to buy
a new engine, but then I bought a Mk1 instead. In the city, it doesn't
burn much..but then again I don't drive like The Mad Bastard, so YMMV.
Kareem
'88 Scirocco 16v
'81 Scirocco S