Re: engine smoking!

Sort of on the same subject.  my 1.8 16v in my reciently aquired Jetta GLI
smokes.  Currently it has a quarter sized hole in the downpipe between the
flex section and the cat.  Im pretty shure that it is just bad rings causing
it to smoke since it has about 140k on it, but is there any way that the
exaust leaking where it is could be messing up the O2 sensor causing it to
run to rich and look like it is burning oil?  The level was low when i got
the car, i added oil, but have not checked to see if any is missing.
Although it is dripping from the oil pan gasket a little.  The thing that is
wierd is that it runs and drives fine, it has lots of power too!  LMK if
this could be an easy fix, but it probably is just bad rings :(

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v
'88 Jetta GLI 16v (New winter car)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin a new life)