Re: 1/4 mile results

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:04:30 -0400 "the mad bastard"
<the-mad-bastard@home.com> writes:

> another guy who ran at englishtown in super hot weather ran a best
>time of 13.84 there, while only able to pull a best of 14.04 at cayuga.

Heat does kill performance. That's pretty well known in the racing world.

>yes, i'm making excuses, but i assure you, they are more for me then
>they are for you.

I don't need excuses so don't make any. Facts work just fine in my world.

>    anyways, here's some of the nitty gritty for all y'all who care
>about such things:
>
>best run of the day:
>DIAL      14.20
>R/T        .731

Dude, .731?? Wake da fuk up! In the world of drag racing, That's
sleeping. Kidding aside, this is something you should consider working
on. It makes a difference. .7 to a .5 is quite a bit. At least half a car
length off the line. Most of the big boys win or loose a race on the RT.
For what your doing, you probably don't care and it does take alot of
time ON the line to get the feel for cutting a good light. I did it for 2
years in the Funnycar and it was always the hardest part of the race.
Its been a ton of years since ive been on the strip. A few months ago I
made a return to the strip to get some data on my new FSP motor. My first
run was a .8 RT! Talk about being out of the loop. I was leaving on the
last yellow and apparently not early enough. I was terrified of getting a
red light which might be part of my problem on that day. Cars differ,
drivers differ. it just takes some time to figure out what it takes to
cut a perfect light.

>duct-taped the front end in an attempt to score some aerodynamic
>points MT 20x6-14 slicks on the front, run at 18psi
>yoko A520s on the rear pumped to 55psi

Sounds like your on the right track. (Hmmm. No pun intended.) I don't
know what MT says to use in regards to tire pressures and as ive said
before, its been a while since ive been around the drag racing scene.

Im thinking you are using too much front tire pressures? Again, MT's
might need more air than the previous drag tires.

Just some of my own discoveries, I used a pair of circle track GoodYear
Eagle racing slicks on 13X6 wheels. (I use them for road racing..... or
something.) Hard compound stuff. Anyways, I used 15psi on my first couple
runs. On my last run I tried 8psi and that really hooked me up off the
line. You might consider trying this on your next test and tune day. Or
not, your call. Also keep in mind that its a strange feeling in the
shutoff area. Torque steer is king and steering input suffers.

I knew guys who used 5psi but these were 15X10 slicks. (Back in the day
crap.) Keep in mind that as the tire heats up in the burnout (I assume
you heat the tires up before the run??) they build pressure. 5psi builds
to about 8-10psi overall. Food for thought is all.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' future "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!