Re: 16V Timing

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 00:33:20 -0300 "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@yorku.ca> writes:
> Guys,
>
> I'm swapping in my 16V into the infamous Projekt Scirocco.  I have
> already put the motor together but I have realized that the timing mark
on
> the cam sprocket does not match the mark on the valve cover.  My
> understanding is that the 16V motor is not a free spinning motor.  The
timing mark is
> 4 notches off and I'm not sure whether I can spin the cam sprocket or
> need I take the head off to set it.  Please inform me.
>
> MTIA!!!!
>
> Sal

You can adjust the cam sprocket to set the timing without pulling the
head, or the valvecover...

If it is only off 4 teeth, I wouldn't worry about it, just set it right
to the notch on the valvecover.
If you want to play it safe, you could advance or retard the crank,
which would lower the no. 1 and no. 2 pistons, making it impossible for
the valves to make contact.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V