16V Timing

Guys,

I'm swapping in my 16V into the infamous Projekt Scirocco.  I have already
put the motor together but I have realized that the timing mark on the cam
sprocket does not match the mark on the valve cover.  My understanding is
that the 16V motor is not a free spinning motor.  The timing mark is 4
notches off and I'm not sure whether I can spin the cam sprocket or need I
take the head off to set it.  Please inform me.

MTIA!!!!

Sal

81 Scirocco S (16V to be, as of later on today)
81 Scirocco (sold!)
84 Wolfie Scirocco (possibly for sale)
84 VWabbit (transformed GTI)
67 Peugeot 404 (now running, registered and insured!)