Re: Crappy ass Bilsteins (!?!)

>From: Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com>

I've tried to trim this a bit, read on to the bottom.

>snip<
>
>I bought a set of Bilsteins & H&R's for my Roc about
>1.5 years ago.

>snip<

>About 6 mos' ago,
>one of the top plates on the rear shock stretched,
>slid down the shock post and pinched it so it was
>permanently bottomed.

>snip<

>About 2 weeks ago I noticed a nice 'crunch' when I'd
>hit small bumps when cornering.

>snip<

>Go to change the oil last night, and noticed that the
>drivers side sits 1.5" lower than the passenger side.
>Push down, no bounce - it is totally bottomed.  Lift
>up and watch it slowly settle back to the bottom.

OK, before you decide that Bilsteins are absolute crap, remember that the
thing that supports your car is the springs. Even if the guts of shock were
demolished, the car should still ride at the same height. For the rear
shock, the shock itself didn't fail, the lower spring mount slid down.
Causing the shock to bottom.

Look for something similar on the front. H&R's are supposed to last forever,
but check everything. Especially around the strut bearings. If the car has
dropped 1.5" then something _other_ than the shock is at fault. You should
still have the shock replaced, if it was damaged.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8