From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Joe Doty
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 10:41 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: not flooding anymore, but...

Here's what's going on:

I checked the specs for the "air flow sensor basic level adjustment",
meaning where the air plate rests when the fuel distributor is out.  My
cheapo Chilton's says from the shoulder where the fuel distributor to the
roller in the airflow sensor should be 19mm (anyone with a bentley wanna
confirm this?).  Some yahoo that had the car before me (morons in the auto
yard at the high school?) decided to crank the mixture screw in about 10-15
turns.  It measured about 16mm when I started.  Now I actually have free
play w/the air plate when there is fuel pressure, and the control plunger
doesn't bottom it out! I think the fuel issue is solved.

However, it seems something is wrong with the firing.  The order is fine, it
has been checked and rechecked.  1,3,4,2.  The cam-to-crank timing is
correct (even though I put the flywheel on wrong), everything lines up okay.
  The distributor is advanced all the way, yet when we put a timing light on
the #1 plug and pointed it at the timing mark on the valve cover while it
fired, it seems to be 1 to 2 teeth behind.  This is, we calculated, over 15
degrees retarded even when the distributor is advanced to its limit.  What
could be the problem?  Is some kind of sensor screwed up?  I don't think
it's the hall sensor (sender?) because the distributor is brand new.
Thanks in advance

Joe
'88 16v project, not running yet