A/C compressor wiring--> HELP PLEASE <--

My A/C was working before I tore everything apart
during my water pump install, but now that everything
is back together my compressor won't kick in, and the
RPM is higher at idle regardless if the A/C is
switched on or not from the dash controls. If I pull
the A/C relay the RPM returns to normal.

Could somebody take a look at their A/C compressor and
see were the Green and Red(mine looks almost brown)
wire go. From what I can tell the wires are suppose to
supply power to the pulley clutch to engage the
compressor when the A/C is turned on from the dash.
The Bentley A/C wiring diagram is really not well laid
out, and not all wire colors are represented.

My current configuration has the green wire from the
compressor hooking into the low pressure valve
connected to the freon line, the other side of that
valve connection appears to make it's way back into
the dash, I'm assuming to the A/C relay and then on to
the dash controls. What I need to know is where does
the red wire on the compressor connect to?  I'm not
100% sure I put it back in the right place, I hooked
it to one of the positive terminals on the back of the
alternator. I don't understand how having two positive
leads going to the compressor makes any sense though.

Before you ask, no I didn't disconnect any of the
freon lines when I had the A/C compressor moved out of
the way during the water pump swap, I only had the
wires pulled off.

Thanks...

=====
Jeff Lowe
Garland, Texas
'86 Scirocco 16V (Daily driver)
'64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia (Newest project)
'59 Euro Spec Beetle (Waiting for resto)
'98 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 (The luxury mobile)