Re: looking to order some parts.....

jarason@reid-crowther.com wrote:

> I am hoping that some of you out there may have a ideas or leads for
> things on my list...
>
> thanks,
> Jeff.
> 81 Scirocco
>
> 1. Airdam.  I am looking for an airdam, (same as the one equiped on the
> Scirocco S).  I recall there was a place that was recreating these but I
> can't find any info about them (it was once listed on the scirocco.org
> parts list).
>
> 2. Grill.  Looking for a front grill without the VW symbol.  I have had
> enough of these ripped off, I'd like to just get the clean grill.  I
> recall Autotech used to stock them (and the above item too) but its no
> longer listed in their catalog.
>
> 3. The rubber molding has some plastic/metal piece that covers part of it
> (this is a really bad explanation but I dont know what their called). Mine
> are chrome plated, I have seen some black ones around.  Can you order
> these, or have people just painted them black.
>
> 4. My baby is starting to rust (rear wheel wells and drivers side door).
> I'd like to repaint her next year.  In the meantime I just want to stop
> the rust.  Has anyone tried those 'rust stopping' products?? do they work?
> or should I just cut  out my cars cancer?

If its started to rust you're in trouble. More than likely its rusting
from the inside. It will need extensive body work before you can paint
it and expect it to last. For now, there is some excellent shit called
RustMort. Its a liquid you brush right on the rust and it penetrates it
and turns it into primer. I did my old Blazer with this stuff and it
lasted a long time. You gotta use lots of it and give it time to dry.
Its not pretty or recommended for a permenant repair but it will help
keep what metal you have left. Now, the other thing. More than likely
the rust is all around the wheel wells and door but still under the
paint and can't be seen. So you treat whats visible only to have the
rest make a show later. Best bet, is a die cutter or plasma torch. Cut,
cut, cut. I hope you have lots of money. My car has sat in primer for
over a year because bodywork and paint is fookin expensive!

Feenix
80 1.8