Re: 84 8v Just Bought...Stalls...Help...kinda long

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:55:32 -0700 (PDT) Keith Fullerton
<kefullerton@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> Thanks to everyone who offered advice on removing broken manifold
> studs...Luckily for me I was unsuccesful at removing them...and the
> wife felt sorry for me and let me get another 84 8v roc!! Yeee-Ha!!
> Now
> I have to convince her to let me keep the "parts" car.
>
> Anyhow...it has one big problem which seems to be electrical. I
> drove
> it home (all highway) with no problem. When I drove it Sunday around
> town, it lost power occasionally. Going about 20 mph it would seem
> "go dead" for about 1/2 second...the Tach would drop to ZERO. Then
> it
> would jerk and keep going. (I'm not sure if it restarts due to the
> momentum...as if it is being push started....or if it just comes
> back
> to life). Also, It has stalled when stopping at a red light twice,
> but
> restarts with no problem. Other than that it seems pretty solid and
> the
> engine seem very strong.
>
> I've never been very good at diagnosing electrical problems, so
> pleeeeaaase point me in the right direction. (The reason I beleive
> that
> it is electrical is due to the fact that the tach drops immediately
> zero...I was told that the Tach was electric) Am I way off-base?
> What
> should I look at first?
>
> I've seen where several people have been preaching about the
> "grounding" of the electrical system...I will see if I can locate
> the grounds and clean them up as a first step.
>
> I have Bentley/Haynes/Chilton...tried to find an appropriate
> "troubleshooting" section but guess I didn't look hard enough, cause
> I didn't find anything...I'll be looking again tonight.

Sounds like a bad pickup coil inside the distributor.

Swap the old '84's distributor into the new Scirocco.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V