MKI for sale, or tech help needed

ok, my buddy is near the end of his rope with an '81 MKI.
He got it with a blown motor, and we swapped in a JH motor
from a working GTI, along with all the fuel injection from a
working '83 MKII.  And now we are having some problems trying to
start it:

We can get it to fire by spraying a bit of carb cleaner into the intake,
but it will die at anything below WOT.  At partial throttle and at idle, it
dies like it has no fuel.  We get fuel at the injectors if we lift the fuel
plate,
and pressure seems to be good.  Ignition timing and cam timing are
spot on, and we've checked them multiple times.  We are using a jumper
for the fuel pump, and the CPR is clean and working ( I think).  There
is no cold start valve connected currently, but it should fire and run
without
it, right?
What else should I look/test for?

if we can't get this thing fired up by the end of the week, it's gonna
be for sale cause he is running out of storage space.

Alex Ting
'90 jetta gli
'86 zender z400 rocco
'83 mad max turbo rocco
'97 ducati 748 monoposto

Account Manager
Millennium Solutions Group, Inc.
575 Menlo Dr. #4
Rocklin, CA  95765

Phone:  888.801.2001 ext. 228 or 916.630.2001
Fax:  916.630.2000
email:  alext@nu2u.net
icq #19613213