update:update: fuel delivery problems (long)

Here's the deal:

To reiterate, my 88 16v won't start.  It has done nothing more than sputter
for maybe 10-15 seconds and die.  All of the plugs are sparking, the firing
order is correct (I have a new distributor), the cam timing is correct (give
or take a little), and the firing timing is correct (again, not perfect).  I
pulled the #1 injector and plugged the hole.  When ignition was turned on
and the fuel pump came on, the injector squirted some go-juice.  When the
engine was turned over a few times, fuel came out of the injector.  A lot of
fuel, it seems.  Maybe too much.  (note: I had not inserted a .004" feeler
gauge between the plate and the air cone in the air flow sensor during this
test like chilton said to)  The entire airbox assembly was intact.  When I
removed the rubber boot on the airflow sensor, the plate was in the down
position (not flush with the air cone).  When I pulled up on the plate with
a magnet (like the chiltons said to) there seemed to me some resistance to
move it up, meaning (according to the chiltons) that the fuel distributor
control plunger was sticky and needed to be replaced.  The plunger feels
mushy to push in and slow to move back out, I don't know if this is supposed
to be this way or not.  The plate moves back down with ease, meaning (I
think) that the airflow sensor is okay.  Other things to note: the air/fuel
mixture plug has been drilled out and nothing is in its place, meaning
someone could have jacked up my fuel mixture.  Plus during the first few
trial starts, the differential pressure regulator's electrical connector
wasn't hooked up until I found the cord dangling and connected it.  Could
this have somehow damaged it?  Can anyone offer any insight into this
dillema?
Thanks
Joe