Re: Transmission Noises

>Hi all,
>
>	I'm getting concerned.  This evening, I started hearing some
>noises coming
>from the transmission.  It's a clicking noise that increases and decreases
>with the increase and decrease in RPM.  If I engage the clutch, the noise
>stops.  It doesn't get any worse around corners.  It's more obvious at lower
>RPMs (this might be a due to the sound of the engine though).  Two days ago,
>I hit a rather abrupt speed bump a little too quick.  This is what I'm
>thinking so far:
>
>* It's not a CV joint.  All the boots are intact and the noise is there in a
>straight line.  No additional noise when turning the car.
>* It's not a wheel bearing.  Since the noise stops when the clutch pedal is
>depressed, it's somehow associated with the transaxle.
>
>Do you think the clutch might be dragging?  Is this a foreshadowing of the
>self-machining tranny?  Am I really screwed?  The car in question is my '86
>16v with the original tranny.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
>- Brad
>'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
>'76 International Scout II

I had the exact same noise, and a mechanic was convinced it was tranny
internal....it turned out to be a bad inner CV joint.  My boots were
also fine.  Check them by jacking up the front end (block properly) and
get under there.  Try and twist the axle. look for play in the inner
CV joint (axle turning, diff output flange not).  Max play allowable
here is very very small...twisting it quick enough in my case caused
the clicking I had been hearing.

later.

==Brett