Transmission Noises

Hi all,

	I'm getting concerned.  This evening, I started hearing some noises coming
from the transmission.  It's a clicking noise that increases and decreases
with the increase and decrease in RPM.  If I engage the clutch, the noise
stops.  It doesn't get any worse around corners.  It's more obvious at lower
RPMs (this might be a due to the sound of the engine though).  Two days ago,
I hit a rather abrupt speed bump a little too quick.  This is what I'm
thinking so far:

* It's not a CV joint.  All the boots are intact and the noise is there in a
straight line.  No additional noise when turning the car.
* It's not a wheel bearing.  Since the noise stops when the clutch pedal is
depressed, it's somehow associated with the transaxle.

Do you think the clutch might be dragging?  Is this a foreshadowing of the
self-machining tranny?  Am I really screwed?  The car in question is my '86
16v with the original tranny.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II