Re: '87 16 valve vibration at idle

--- Bill Collins <photo@intrex.net> wrote:
> I'm considering buying an '87 16 valve Scirocco, but
> the one I'm looking at has a terrible vibration at
> idle and low RPM (It shakes worse than the '79
> DIESEL Rabbit I once owned!)  The seller says this
> is normal.
>
> Is this really normal for the 16 valve?  If not, any
> suggestions on fixing it?
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Email problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org  To
> unsubscibe send

No, I bought one about a month ago, same car and no
vibration problem. Things that may cause vibrations
such as these are: air in the fuel system, unequal
compression between cylinders (a compression check
would spot this), broken engine mounts (does the
engine kind of bounce when you goose it? If so, engine
mounts are a good bet), fuel injectors, maybe even
worn engine bearings. You talk about  a rough idle and
that brings in the possibilities of incorrect idle
speed, ignition timing, bad spark plug wires and lots
of other things. If this guy says its "normal," I
don't trust him right off. If it is somthing simple,
why didn't he fix it? Maybe he knows what's wrong but
just wants to unload the car. It could be he thinks he
knows what's wrong and you could make an offer and get
the car real cheap. How long has this guy had this
car? Knowing that could tell you somthing. Just be
careful. Look it over close. Check the cheap things
first. Good to ask the list about things like this.
Hopefully someone else can be more specific than I
have been. Good luck!

Jorel Jackson
'87 16v
'85 8v