Muffler basics

	I have a bunch of questions about buying and installing an aftermarket
muffler by myself.  I have a stock motored '81 with a Eurosport cat back
exhaust which was installed by the previous owner but the muffler is toast
(inlet tube is cracked where it joins and body and the muffler rattles like
a metal maraca).

	1.  Do I measure the outside diameter of the pipe that would go into the
inlet of the muffler to determine the size that I should order (e.g. 2" or 2
1/4")?

	2.  How should I pick the configuration of the muffler?  I mean, whether
the inlet and outlet are centered or offset. Will anything that fits be OK?
Does an increase in the amount of offset mean a longer path through the
muffler and hence, more silencing?

	3.  How do you know if the aftermarket muffler's hangers will line up
correctly with those on the car?  I've heard of but never seen an adjustable
hanger kit.  How do these work?  Do I have to get hangers welded on at the
appropriate spots?

	4.  The old muffler seems to be solidly attached to the pipe by a nice
layer of corrosion.  What's the best way to get the muffler off?  Can I use
a cutting wheel on a dremel to slit the inlet tube and pry it off?

	I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't know the answers to these
questions so any help will be greatly appreciated.  Regards, benton---