Re: '87 16 valve vibration at idle

It's not normal, but it's common.  The side motor mount on the 16V engines
needs to be replaced each time the timing belt is replaced (i.e. 30k
miles).  If the mount is bad, the car'll shake so bad at idle that you
can't see out the rear-view mirror.

The car will be fine with a new mount -- just do the timing belt and
tensioner at the same time.

Jason

At 12:13 PM 8/3/2000 , Bill Collins wrote:
>I'm considering buying an '87 16 valve Scirocco, but the one I'm looking
>at has a terrible vibration at idle and low RPM (It shakes worse than the
>'79 DIESEL Rabbit I once owned!)  The seller says this is normal.
>
>Is this really normal for the 16 valve?  If not, any suggestions on fixing
>it?
>
>Bill
>
>--

1987 Scirocco 16v