Re: Broke axel/tranny durability?

--- Joe Doty <rocco2nr@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Two issues...
> Is broken axles a common problem with these cars?
> The car I had now had a
> broken outer CV spline on the drivers side, it was
> sheared off flat.  Plus
> there were pieces of a roller bearing floating
> around inside the tranny.
> The car I got my tranny out of (an 86 gti) had a
> broken axle.  Are these
> trannies durable?  I hope I didn't buy a hotrodded
> tranny for $350.
>
> Joe

I dunno. I don't think so. In 23 years of driving
Sciroccos, I've only had one axle break.

The weakness of certain VW trannies is the dreaded
"self machining syndrome":

http://www.spiretech.com/~vw6spd/rivets.htm

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)