Re: Waterfest adventures (massive edits)

Jim Jarrett wrote:

> Whew.
>
> I finally have a chance to catch my breath and file a report from the
> Rochester NY crew......
>
> THURSDAY 7/27
>
> TBerk and Kevin:Collins are on red-eyes inbound to Rochester.

Smoky starter is an acquired taste. I feel my powers ebb as I crossed
too many time zones, too quickly.

Sorry Jim, I am usually better when laying hands upon the afflicted.

> FRIDAY 7/28
>
> We meet Brett V in downtown Rochester... and then
> over to my house for a marathon diagnostic session.

It's funny how much I found similar in both Jim and Brett with myself.
We are completely different people but share some things outside of
Sciroccos. Jim's even got me thinking Rabbit Convertible.  Hmmmm.

> After much poking and prodding about, we find a wire from the engine
> swap that grounds when it shouldn't (thanks to TBerk's quick eyesite
> and a wisp of smoke..).  That, and several other loose electrical
> connectors get fixed, and finally, the car starts.  Even after I told
> Brett to just give up, it's hosed, it's not going to Waterfest.  He
> was unstoppable; on a mission.

BRRRRRRETTTTT.  He's an animal.

> (early) SATURDAY 7/29
> ...We take off for New Joisy; Brett in his white 16v, Mike
> Leach in his red 16v, and me in my Rabbit convertible.

You OK Kev?

> Kevin:Collins decided to take up roadside botany and toxic waste
> management along the way.....

I Toooooold him not to drink the water, but nooooooo. :)

> 3pm, 7/29
>
> We arrive...  Got to see a bunch
> of people that we only see at WF, : and TBerk got to meet & be met;
> burnouts, burnouts, burnouts!

Funny putting faces to names. Missed Williams & the WarPig but finally
met a bunch of characters, even some of my heroes like the evil Jonas!,
and the MAD Bastard! Missed Pencilneck though. <rats>

And Burnouts!, burnouts!, burnouts!.

Funny moment- Ol' Ass Tosha (that's me) going around to pass on the word
that the cops would be out in force that Sat evening. <sigh> so many
young(er) people, so many questioning looks ("Who _was_ that? Was
_that_guy_ the narc?")

> Max Power photographed Josh Able's
> Seidl-equipped car; burnouts, burnouts, burnouts!

The funniest thing, as soon as a cool car would show up ,all these
'ants' would flow to it and crawl all over it. Josh's car had mucho
gravitational force, let me tell you. All day at the show even, he got
tired of answering the same questions and I got drafter for awhile. :)
(I'm HEEEELPIIIIIING!)

> At dinner, a shot-buying frenzy broke out.  For some reason (Brett?)
> Josh, TBerk, Rich Deede, and a couple other people started trying to
> liquor me up.  All I know/remember is that they were Goldschlager and
> Rumplemintz....

It just seemed like the thing to do.

> The evening wore on, more burnouts, more listers showed up (Mad Matt
> as Jonas' chauffeur), fun fun fun...

So many folks, so little time. Left the Fat Cat beer at home, left the
Barbados Rum at home (it wasn't missed as there were plenty of
inebriated people to go around), left the camera at home- Arrgh!.

> 6am 7/30
>
> We jump out of bed, ...  Look out the window.  IT'S
> POURING. >:-(  So we get up,... and head on down to the cars.

"Each of you three guys jump in one of the cars, we'll swap you around
on down the road like the car whores that you are..." Almost an exact
quote.

> We get to the show, set up, etc. ... There were 26 Sciroccos -
> that's awesome!  Almost as many as were at New Dimensions, even given
> how harsh the climate is here.  Only 3 Mk 1's tho....shows how rare a
> good one is in the Northeast.

1. It was raining like the big dog as we drove into the show. Poor
directions from Rapid (bad Rapid, bad Rapid) almost had me navigating a
whole string of cars 180 degrees away from the right location.

2. Rain stopped and it turned out to be a great weather day.

3. Roc did rock. Luckily Kevin was there to pull me out of my trance
with the 1.8t Mk1. I'd prob still be there.

4. See #3.

> Back to the hotel for dinner and more bs'ing around our cars.  Jason
> The Mad Bastard went up against each other across the parking lot.

So, Jason the MB could only have proper competition against himself?

> 7/31
>
> All of us that were left have breakfast in the hotel, then head out.
> We head up I-80 thru Jersey.  We were just doing a speed check when
> surprise!  One of NJ's finest is right there.  It was darn nice of
> the three of us to help him make his July quota.  Yeah, we got nabbed
> for going 83 in a 65.  We would have been ok except there was some
> doofus in a red Lumina that wasn't letting us in, so we sped up to
> pass him.  Bad timing.  OTOH, I was surprised that my car was doing
> that speed (my speedo doesn't work).

At first All I was going to say was Yellow Stripe Down The Trousers.
Foinky.

Punk in the Mustang had the good luck to blow off the main route we were
on and HE would have gotten the ticket. Grrrrr.

> Needless to say, we were a bit more sedate on the return trip.
>
> We hang out at Brett's, surf for porn^H^H^H^H pix of 'Roccs, eat
> dinner, stuff like that.
>
> 8/1
>
> Kevin:Collins, TBerk, and Chris crash one more night in Rochester,
> and I take them to the airport bright and early (groan).  To throw
> one more harsh in the mellow, after dropping them off and heading to
> work in my Passat, just about to work I blow a rear tire.......so I
> get to get two brand-new Dunlop SP8K's.  Woo hoo!!!

Silver lining time baby. (I said ... <whatever> baby! more times on this
trip than I have in the last year. Hmmmm, must have been the water.)

Jim rocks! Put up with funky, smelly, grumpy house guests. Damn fine
example of a fellow lister.

> But even with all the groove crushing that went on, I still had a
> great time, and I hope Kevin:, TBerk, and Chris did too....I think
> Chris is already planning next year.....
> --
>
> /============\
> | Jim Jarrett

Yeah, I'm planning mobile rental car type thing so as to not have to tie
you up just cause we are in town. I plan on driving the Roc out two
years from now. (Already have next year lined up with something else).

All in all a good time was had by all (of my personalities). And, to top
it all off, instead of flying from Rochester NY to Atlanta to Dallas/
Fort Worth to SF, I was able to jump at Hot-Lanta onto a flight straight
into SFO. AND it was 1st class!

Got home HOURS earlier than otherwise.

My thx go out to the fellas, and wymens who came out.

Kevin & Jim get above and beyond the call of duty No-Prizes, and they
are in the mail now. ;)

TBerk