Re: BOGE Progas or Turbogas?

At 06:07 PM 4/26/2000 , Nigel Heron wrote:

>16v Jason wrote:
>
> > The ProGas shocks are not designed to be used with lowering springs.
> >
> > Go with the TurboGas.  I had them with my H&Rs and was happy with them for
> > the first year or so on PA's nasty, horrible roads.  They were about 1/2
> > blown after a year... but we have really bad roads here-- so they should be
> > a good shock for use elsewhere in the country.
>
>1/2 blown after a year? .. sorry bud but that sucks ass, my ProGas' are still
>going strong after 6 years mated to NS lowering springs (on Montreal/Quebec
>roads).

Gee thanks for the vote of confidence, NIGEL! ;)

I've driven on Quebec roads (albeit not with the Roc), and on Western PA
roads.  No comparison-- the roads in Pittsburgh are *horrible*.  Where I am
now (40 mins from the city), they're not that bad, but there are some
inescapable huge bumps that will bottom you out every time.

The problem with the previous suspension was that the bump stops (OEM) were
destroyed within a *month* because of all the bottoming.  As a suspension
expert explained to me, if your bump stops are destroyed, your shocks will
soon follow because they are bottoming internally-- i.e. instead of the
bump stop preventing them from bottoming the plunger bla bla bla...

They're not totally shot, but you know how I am about my car.
:)  Anal.  They were doing OK, just were a bit bouncer than they were when
I first installed them.  In cold weather, they were great, but when it was
hot (and I'm assuming because whatever fills them got thinner), they just
bottomed all over the place.  Then, I hit a nasty ditch in the middle of
the road that cracked my windshied (this was a *nasty* fucking hit) that
finished them off.  It was kinda cool to see oil shoot out of the
wheelwells on impact, though.... after the fact.

Oh well... I love the Konis, though. :)

Jay

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro