Re: Valve Job and misc. questions

At 03:58 PM 4/25/2000 , Jason wrote:
>I have a 16v and some questions:
>
>I was told recently that my a/c compressor has defective bearings....It
>sounds to me like a valve tap...Question: Are valve jobs expensive ? Could
>the a/c make it sound like a valve tap ?

It could, yes.  **CAREFULLY** put a screwdriver up to the compressor when
the engine is running and listen to the end of it-- that trick should help
you locate where the sound is coming from.

>My exhaust appears to be leaking. It appears to be the muffler...I have a
>new dual downpipe (stock) with the cat. already welded to it. If I want to
>put a beefier exhaust on the car can I get any noticable power by replacing
>the exhaust behind the cat. --- back ?
Nah, probably not.

>It appears that I may need a new clutch, what speed should I expect out of
>winding the gears to say 6500...

Needing a new clutch won't do anything to your overall gearing.  If your
clutch is _slipping_, that's a sign that you might need a new one... but
doing a constant 6500rpm in each gear, it won't be slipping anyway.

How many miles are on the clutch?  Does it chatter (i.e. vibrate when
engaging, especially under high-stress conditions like starting on a
seriously steep hill)?  Does it slip on acceleration (i.e. in 3rd gear at
4000rpm, if you floor it, will the revs shoot up without the car accelerating)?

Jason

>Example:
>1rst. - 30
>2nd. - 53
>and so on....
>
>I noticed the other day that I couldn't go faster than 110MPH...Very slow
>for a 16v it would seem...Any suggestions other than slow down :-)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jason87vw@nac.net
>'87 16v Stoc Roc
>

>--