eBay sucks

Wow, my first eBay experience sucked balls.  I was the high bidder for days,
and nobody else bid, then i go to check on my bid 1 minute before it closes
and i'm still on top.  i figure i've got it all wrapped up.  then i come
back later to get in contact with the seller and it turns out some
dicksmack's outbid me by 50 cents 30 seconds or so before it closed.  eBay
sucks, i just thought i'd share that with you all.  (scirocco related cause
it was parts).

Any eBay vets have some tips on how to make sure i get that part i really
wanted?

   Thanks for letting me rant...

Owen
87 Scirocco 16v #38 CD-SS.