Scotty W's project updates (long but cool)

Guys, my Rocc is almost done! What's left is: welding in the cage,
modifying the doors to take Audi 100 door locks, installation of the TT
2.25" exhaust, paint, laying the carpet, and a little fabrication to
make the Jetta Mk1 (uGLI) dash fit correctly. After a friggin' four-year
hibernation, the car should be drivable in about a week. Woohoo!

The big question is whether I go to the trouble of making this thing a
show car. Obviously I know fully well what it takes to win at a car show
having been a judge for years and years... To be honest, it takes a
ridiculous amount of prep work to make a winner. Right, Brett V.?

The "Warpig" (rally GTi) has also transcended to a higher plane of
tuning existence. Last weekend I dropped in a Jetta 16v radiator (easy
conversion) and a knock sensor ignition (a real bitch). I also just got
my 4k trans rebuilt with a Quaife differential. It needed all new seals,
synchros and forks. -lotsa work! 'Tis a good thing that I didn't have to
do it. :^) One of my racing sponsors, Hodi's Auto Service, took care of
alla that for just $250! Can you believe it? If anyone around New Jersey
needs work done just ask me and I'll hook you up tight.

But wait, there's more. This week the Piggy also gets a heavier aluminum
skid plate to keep the nasty rocks from becoming one with my oil pan.
Since my night vision isn't the best I'm putting the power of the sun on
the front of my car. Thus a new light bar must be fabricated to take a
quad set of Hella 4000 flamethrowers. Then the battery is going behind
the passenger's seat to even out some the nose-heaviness.

As for the suspension, the majority of it is finally getting tossed.
Thus far I've been running my soft "Winter" suspension all year round
-standard Bilstein HD struts/shocks with stock springs. Outta here! In
their place I'm installing stiffer (but 3/4" taller) progressive-rate
springs with height adjustability in the back only. The front Bilsteins
have been revalved to about double their normal rate, btw. Lastly, the
rear beam will be triangulated and the a-arms welded for strength. The
only thing left on this thing will be a proper paint job and the R&A
Design big bumpers that are so far collecting dust in my attic.

Rally-Won-Kenobi has returned with a vengeance!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!