Re: Radiator, and thermostat questions! (16v)

At 03:21 PM 4/17/00 -0400, Gary A. Huff wrote:
>List,
>         Car is running completely pinned. It gets really hot on the
>highway...I'm assuming the radiator is clogged. Luckily I have a spare!
>How would I go about testing my spare to see if it's any good? The
>scirocco it came out of had about 100k on it, and it looks pretty damn
>clean (no smashed fins or anything!). Also, would it be wise to run the
>car without a thermostat? It's a summer only car as of this year, and
>will be stored in the winter. Thanks,
>
>--
>========================
>Gary A. Huff scirocco86@home.com

A pressure test can be done at a Rad shop. You could install it and look
for leaks, :)

No, It's not a good idea to run without a thermo. Fix the overheating,
don't try to club the symptom over the head with a club.

The water pump is expecting to 'see' the resitance provided even by an open
thermo. Put in a good OEM one from the Potterfolk, back flush the coolant
system with a water hose, install the new Rad, add phosphate free coolant
along with distilled water, make sure you have no leaks and that the cap
keeps pressure (15psi is required to keep the coolant from boiling),
confirrm your timing is right, you are not running too lean (air to gas
ratio), and look in the rad while the car is just warming up- See coolant
flowing? Fan comes on? Now is coolant flowing? Might be the waterpump is not.

TBerk