audi TB

Question for yall audi TB users...
Just sold my Mk2 TB off the car for $50 (geeze I
didn't pay anything for it) and I've managed to score
an Audi 5000 TB for $5.  Works perfectly and My intake
manifold has already been ported but there's something
different.  On the smaller venturi side there is a
metal donut that closes the intake size significantly.
 Any ideas on this?  I could probably remove it with a
punch but is it important to keep?  I know the main
idea behind using this TB is for more air volume.
However with the little donut volume may be decreased
but velocity will increase.  Is this supposed to
increase torque at lower revs?
Any help is greatly appreciated
George-
stuck back with the stock TB until the Audi is ready:(