RE: Good Lord, 1.8t in a Scirocco

At 5:45 AM -0500 3/31/00, Neal Tovsen wrote:
>Anybody know what it would cost to have Momentum do such work? I'm guessing
>it would be big bux, but the thought of easily surpassing 200hp in a nice,
>quiet, streetable, emmissions-legal engine might just be worth it!

Yeah, what this shop is quoting people right now is at least $10k USD.
That's for the complete swap, including all the parts, an intercooler, and
your basic chip mods.  The major problem with this install is locating the
turbo - with the stock exhaust manifold, the turbo is just too close to the
pass. side shock tower.  It would literally be 5 or 6 inches away, so
plumbing the thing would be impossible to do properly.  What they did with
the car they just built was fabricate a custom manifold (you can see it in
the pics) that moved the turbo up and over towards the middle of the car.

It's really not a DIY job, although I'm sure we'll be seeing a few
hack-job1.8t conversions into A1s this summer... :)

>Riley, apparently you kinda know these guys. You think they might be willing
>to sell a "kit" of sorts containing all the custom pieces (exhaust manifold,
>motor mounts, etc)? BC is an awful long way from Florida!

Possibly, down the road, but I don't think they have plans to do so right now..

HTH!