Re: crankshaft, intermediate shaft timing - SHAFTED- HELP!

I would also like to add to this. If when you get the timing (TDC) marks on
the flywheel and the the cam and dist. lined up it still doesnt start remove
#1 spark plug and make sure the piston is at the top of its stroke. A good
way to check this is to stick a screw driver into the hole and rotate the
crank back and forth to make sure it is at TDC. Just be careful not to slip
with the screwdriver and scratch the cylinder wall. The reason I say all
this is that I had a customer with a Jetta and it was supposed to be a
simple cam swap; well it turned out to be a head rpelacement. Some stupid
shithead at a shop did his clutch and installed the flywheel incorrectly
making the marks not correct. I lined it all up and turned it over and it
bent all the valves ( 10-1 CR engine). This will not happen with a JH engine
but it does hopefully offer some light into what might be making it
difficult for you to get it started. HTH

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag (Scirocco of course)