RE: crankshaft, intermediate shaft timing - SHAFTED- HELP!

If I'm not mistooken, timing belt installation is done with cyl. 1 on TDC
compression.  I would try putting it there (check the rotor to see if it's
at #1 and carefully put a screwdriver through the spark plug hole to find
TDC) and checking to see if the mark on the cam pulley is in the correct
place.  If it's not, I would suspect that the cam timing is off and keeping
it from starting.

The intermediate shaft doesn't really even need to be lined up (my brother's
A2 GTI wasn't when we did his timing belt).  The only problem I see is that
if it's not lined up at the end of the procedure, your timing will be off,
but I would reset that after replacing the belt anyway.  Of course, if the
intermediate shaft is way off, your distributor will have to be rotated
really far and I'm not sure if you would run into interference problems with
the block.

HTH!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!