Re: crankshaft, intermediate shaft timing - SHAFTED- HELP!

Alignment between crank and intermediate shaft does not need to be exact -
just ballpark (and you can fine tune by adjusting ignition timing.)

Scrap lining up on the front - pull the timing plug on the top of the
transmission bellghousing, and line the "0" on the flywheel up with the
pointer - that's TDC.  Pull the distributor cap and line the centre of the
rotor up with the line that's scribed in the top of the distributor
housing's rim (you might have to clean some gunk to find it).  Line the
camshaft gear's inside mark with the top of the timing belt backplate (ie
above where the bolt that holds the backplate to the head is) and install
your belt, making sure that there is no slack on the front of the belt
between the crank, the intermediate pulley and the cam.  Putting the car
in gear with the e-brake will help keep the crank from moving - so you
just have to worry about the distributor.

If that doesn't work for you, the something else is wrong (ignition, fuel
etc.)

Hope this helps (I apologize for repeating steps you have taken.)

Drew

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Victor Farren wrote:

> If you have read this far I thank you, and would love any input.
>
> Victor

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca