Re: Death of Mike's car - was Re: Alignment problems

> Any advice with dealing with insurance is greatly appreciated!  The
> woman was so out of it that she couldn't even remember the name of her
> insurance company (which scares me...she probably doesn't have any).

GET A LAWYER!  I used to think lawyers were all greedy SOBs or
politicians in training, then my daughter got whacked by a kid in a 3/4
ton pick-up.  That was in September of '99 and we still haven't settled,
but the attorneys are taking care of it now.  And you've gotta be
patient, cuz one of the primary tricks that the insurance companies use
to make you settle for less is stalling.  Get a pit bull lawyer.
One side note,... the same daughter got whacked again by another pick-up
a while after we got the lawyer.  (Neither accident was her fault,... at
least the second one didn't put her in the ER.) I went to the insurance
company and told them what I was already involved in and that they had
five days to cut me a check for the amount I specified, (I was reasonable
about the value, but I wasn't getting screwed!) or I would turn it over
to my attorney.  I got the settlement four days later.
Good luck.
-kevin in Texas

p.s. It really worries me that insurance companies are getting involved
in running the medical industry.  I can see what's coming,... "Well, it
just wasn't cost effective to save your childs life.  We have to watch
the bottom line and keep costs down for everyone."  BS.