Re: Can a 1.8 16V tranny withstand a 2.0 L

><snip>
>>recommned Redline MTL), and if it's not balking or crunching you're
><snip>
>Even crunching is not necessarily a sign of imminent death, just a PITA -
>I've had the standard 2nd gear crunch for over 100K, on top of the 80K (
>and
>the rest no doubt!) that it had on the clock when I got it

i would have to agree with Ewan here. I rebuilt my tranny about 5K miles ago
and it still grinds in second when its cold. I think it was just a bad
design on VW's part. It also has new synchros and all the good shit. Do not
condemn your tranny if it grinds in second when its cold. HTH

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag (Scirocco of course)