Re: [mk2] master cylinder & transmission q's

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:51:05 EDT CLaYpOoLME@aol.com writes:

   which cap under the  hood should i loosen (duh....i mean the big ass
one or just the
   little one for the reservoir)?

 Neither! Connect a clear line to the bleeder valve and press the piston
back in when you loosen it. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and this
moisture rusts in the calipers. When you remove the cap on the reservoir
and push the piston back in the caliper you force the crap and debris
back into your master cylinder and that can ruin it.

If you get something resembling concentrated tea out of you caliper it's
time to flush the system. I bled my system, after changing my master
cylinder two weekends ago, and felt like Uncle Jed when I saw the "black
gold" that erupted from each of the rear calipers. It's my own fault, I
have had the car for seven years and it hasn't been done since I bought
it. Oops!

-Eric
Good, bad....I'm the guy with the gun!