RE: Too Much $$$$ - musings a week before payday

Funny...I was just contemplating this very topic the other day!

My estimates over the past 18 months or so are sitting somewhere in the 8k
range, not including my own labor (I did use a mechanic for a couple items),
but including the $3000 I spent for the car initially. The funny thing is
that I've spent about the same amount on payments for my '99 Impreza 2.5RS.
That may be a lot, but when you consider that I pay WAAY more for insurance
on the Impreza (it's new), and that it's still stock (not a bad car to leave
stock, tho!), I've gotten a lot more bang-for-the-buck out of my
146,000-mile beater.

Nearly all the money was spent on upgrades, too. Wheels, suspension, brakes,
and stereo represent big chunks of the pie. If I had left the car stock, and
only replaced items on an as-needed basis, I might only have spent a little
over $1k on it by now. A lot of that money would have just been for the new
clutch. Pretty damn fine, IMHO!

BTW, I drove into a parking lot where a TON of imports hang out last night
(nearly all really ugly Hondas) and heard someone say "is that a DeLorean?"
Ugh. Every time someone says that, my skin crawls. There was a REALLY trick
Quattro Coupe there, though, and a Diablo...then I was happy!

Neal
88 16v