Re: New to list

--- robtsou@attglobal.net wrote:

> The car was originally white.  There are signs of rust
> that has been
> painted over, mostly on the bottom of the doors, a
little
> in the engine
> compartment but that's about it, nothing major

I'll harp on this some more - what part of the country do
you live?  Primarily, has the car been exposed to salt?
Check the rocker panels in the vicinity of where the rear
axle bolts to the body - Mk1s usually rust just ahead of
this area.  (As the rust progresses, it rust out all around
the axle which then falls off the car)  Wouldn't hurt to
look at the lower fenders (behind the front wheels) and the
rocker panels in this general vicinity as well.  For engine
compartment rust, check the strut towers themselves,
especially where the bumper shocks wrap around the towers.
(Check both from inside and outside the engine compartment)
 I've also noticed many seem to acquire a rust spot at the
front of the passenger side fender, engine compartment
side.  (Follow?)

The engine mounts look like they need to be
> replaced

Probably.

and the
> radiator is attached to the car with zip ties.

Hehe - I've seen that before...

  There's
> oil pooling on
> the intake manifold (I assume from the valve/cam cover)

Yeah, kinda typical...

> The good part is that the body looks to be all original
> and unwrecked.
> Everything is straight and all of the accessories work
> (front/rear
> wipers, lights, radio, fan, signals, etc..).  The
> headliner is in good
> shape and the seats are passable.

Sounds like a pretty damn good deal for what you "paid."

> Here's my question.  I don't have a ton of money to
drop
> on this car so
> how much do you think it would cost to get it up to
speed
> as far as
> being a semi-daily driver.  I can do all of the work
> myself but is this
> going to nickel and dime me into the poor house or do
you
> think that
> with less that $1000 I can shape this thing up?

I'm sure you can get it into pretty decent shape for
$1000...  I'm amazed how nice Ben Harder's '81 is
considering how much he's got in it.

I really
> want to keep
> the car (I love the lines and I'm a VW nut from my
Beetle
> days) but if
> it's going to be a money pit I really should get it to
> someone who can
> do something with it rather than let it waste away in
> front of my house
> until I have the funding to do it myself.

All I can say is that it *is* a 22 year old car so it
will
likely always have something that needs attention, but on
the whole an old Scirocco is not that difficult nor
terribly expensive to maintain.

Good luck!

=====
Daun Yeagley