Re: Technical question...

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:30:12 -0500 "Ryan McCarthy"
<rmccarthy777@email.msn.com> writes:
>That's what I thought, too. It seems kind of weird that both the alt
light
>and the OXS light would come on at the same time after this and the
battery
>would stop charging. Maybe I just exposed a weak point some where that
was
>waiting to happen? I think I'm just going to replace everything anyways.
The
>cars got 300k on it, and it wouldn't hurt, I suppose.
>
>Thanks,
>Ryan

Recently, I had the same problem where the lights both stopped working
for me. I thought it was the alternator so I swapped it with a "known
good" alternator. Still, no charging. In my scenerio, the 2 red LED's
wouldnt turn on when the key is on. After the car starts, the volt meter
indicates 12V and drops from there, depending on how far I drive, ect.
Essentially ive been running off the battery for the last 2 months. 2
autoxes too including pre running an event for safety and maximum
enjoyment potential. Pays to be the event chairman sometimes. Onward!

So, going thru the sequence of the charging system, theres not much to it
on a Scirocco, I replaced my circuit board on the spedo cluster, the
LED's in the cluster and still, no charging. (Although the tach problem
was fixed with the new circuit board. it wasnt a total loss.)

My last test before I fixed the problem (its always that way.) was to
pull the plug on the alternator and test for voltage at the 3 terminals
with the ign switch on. I got voltage at all 3 so everything else must be
fine. I ordered a new alternator at work, installed it on my break and it
fixed the problem. Pisses me off. Its always the obvious problem. GL.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and