RE: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)

>Hmm, actually, I have new brakes all around, and a new master cylinder, so
>as far as them "sucking" I would say um, no...I do know these two facts to
>be absolutely true:
>
>1.) I have a someone following me into a curve, let's say I don't know,
>YOU...your right on my ass, I hit the brake, because I am going faster than
>I should, now your even closer, and let's say, my brakes lock...DOH! now we
>are both floating around with harps...OR I downshift, let the car hold
>itself back, and now at the end of the curve, I am stabbing the gas, AND I
>am in a lower gear, if you use your brake, you are wondering why I am 3 or
>four car lengths ahead of you.
>
>2.) Downshifting into a curve is better than braking.

As has been beaten to death by now, engine braking into a corner is
a very very wrong way to hustle your way around a corner....track or
street.  Selecting the correct gear for proper 'roll-on' of power
as you unwind the wheel during the cornering & track-out process is
necessary and I don't argue that point at all.  Maybe a good read
for some of us would be "Going Faster - Mastering the Art of Racing"
from Robert Bentley publishing written by Carl Lopez an instructor
at Skip Barber.  It's a pretty good read and it's the place I'm getting
some of my book-smarts in preparation for SCCA IT road racing.

==Brett