Re: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)

----Original Message Follows----
From: "bret" <bret@atdot.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Re: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:05:15 -0500

 ><< Watch out for 020 tranny self
 > machining syndrome, the consesus seems to be that around 150,000 miles is
 > when they go.... >>
 >
 >In researching this problem the past couple of weeks I talked to a few VW
 >mech. and other mech.  Their consensus for prolonging this from happening
 >was
 >to NEVER use the engine as a brake, and not to downshift and use the
engine
 >as a brake.  They said this puts tremedous pressures on the drivetrain and
 >helps cause the rivites to snap. One mech. said curtly that people don't
get

 >it, that is why they put a brake pedal in the car transaxles just can't
 >handle those pressures.  Just passing on some info.

I call bullshit.

well, not completely, .....yeah, this puts more strain on your drivetrain,
but so does driving.  It is built to deal with this.  Sure, not using the
engine to slow down will help the tranny last, but not near as long as not
driving.

just my .02

--Bret

1978 Scirocco
1986 Scirocco
2000 Golf GL

--
Actually I down shift when going into a corner, you just get better control
that way but if I am comming to a stop I avoid down shifting and just brake.

Bryan

'81 Scirocco S