Re: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)

In a message dated 9/28/99 7:34:18 PM Central Daylight Time, desinor@ibm.net
writes:

<< I always thought brakes are cheaper than a transmission, which is why I
use them.
  I try to be very gentle with my transmission. I still had to have mine
rebuilt somewhere around 200
 thousand kilometers. >>

 You had to replace both didn't you?  My point is that the transmission is
going to break no matter what you do.  Mine hadn't technically broken yet.
It was just in the very beginning stages of dying. Not downshifting isn't
going to do anything in the end.  Since yours made it to 200k, then you had a
few more miles to go without it breaking.... but it was going to no matter
what.  Also, the topic was 16V transmission & I see that you have an 8v.  Is
it a 16V tranny?
Dan May
8716VScirocco
95Pathfinder