Re: Stock 16V Rims

"Snow, Jason" wrote:

> I was told the the stock 87 16v Scirocoo rims are not condusive to good
> handeling, something about an "offset"...

The offset is a measure of how far in our out the rim is relative to the
hub. Have you ever seen one of those ridiculous SoCal lowrider  cars with
the rims poking out a foot from the fender? Okay, that wheel has a
radically different offset than what you've got in your stock car.
(Actually, is that a higher or lower offset, guys? I forget which way is
which sometimes...)

*To a point* a wider track is desirable. However, after that point is
reached, it will make for undesireable handling and part reliability
characteristics. I dunno what offset is on a stock 16v rim, but I
definitely know that the teardrop wheels are known to be heavy. Go for the
lightest/strongest rim that you can find with an offset that complements
your car's set up.

I'll let someone else continue with the elaborations...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut