SV: 2.0 16V turbos

Hello

> A while back someone....and myself.....were asking about the possiblility of
> sticking a 16V head on a "tallblock".  I was surfing through the Shine
> website and came across this:
>
> 2.0 liter "Tallblock" shortblock 82.5 mm bore x 92.8mm stroke, 1984cc. 10:1
> nominal compression with 8 valve cylinder head, 8:1 with 16 valve head. This
> is a brand new assembly made completely with VW OEM parts, this is the block
> currently used in 1994-97 Golf/Jettas. The 16mm higher deck allows use of
> longer rods, resulting in a smoother, more powerful motor. This engine is
> the quickest route to maximum power for your VW.
>
> That line about the 16V head caught my attention.  It would appear the a
> reasonable turbo solution might be to use the "tallblock" with the 1.8 16V
> head and then possibly have the head decked to get compression in the 8.5:1
> or 9:1 range so that there was some power available when the turbo was off
> boost.

With compression ratios of 8:0 or higher you get ok power even if the turbo isn't naking boost but with the turbo you are going to use you will have boost over 1800 rpms, and over 1,0 bar over 2500 rpms.

A turbo motor is getting better fill ratio in the cylinders than a NA motor even if you don't boost, resulting in much better torque but the same hp.

> This leads to other questions:  How much can you safely take off the 16V
> head to raise compression?  And.........can anyone think of a reason why
> this wouldn't work?

Only thing that comes to mind is to my knowledge all 16V short block have jacked pistons to make clearance to the valves.

But in 16V motors I'm no guru, only official guru on turbo motors.

> I would like to hear all opinions on this option as it is imposible to find
> a donor 2.0 16V shotblock around here but the tall blocks are a dime a
> dozen.
>
> Brian Honnold
> '78 Ragtop.......tired of sitting in it making vrooming noises

WRONG. A turbo motor with good tuning sounds like wrom, PSSHHHH, TSJSJJ, Kabomm and agian wrom .... This sounds comes when you accelerate fast and change gears.

Almost sold my 1,6 turbo motor, 1,8T is coming soon (two or three weeks)

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,6l RSi -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker