2.0 16V turbos

A while back someone....and myself.....were asking about the possiblility of
sticking a 16V head on a "tallblock".  I was surfing through the Shine
website and came across this:

2.0 liter "Tallblock" shortblock 82.5 mm bore x 92.8mm stroke, 1984cc. 10:1
nominal compression with 8 valve cylinder head, 8:1 with 16 valve head. This
is a brand new assembly made completely with VW OEM parts, this is the block
currently used in 1994-97 Golf/Jettas. The 16mm higher deck allows use of
longer rods, resulting in a smoother, more powerful motor. This engine is
the quickest route to maximum power for your VW.

That line about the 16V head caught my attention.  It would appear the a
reasonable turbo solution might be to use the "tallblock" with the 1.8 16V
head and then possibly have the head decked to get compression in the 8.5:1
or 9:1 range so that there was some power available when the turbo was off
boost.

This leads to other questions:  How much can you safely take off the 16V
head to raise compression?  And.........can anyone think of a reason why
this wouldn't work?

I would like to hear all opinions on this option as it is imposible to find
a donor 2.0 16V shotblock around here but the tall blocks are a dime a
dozen.

Brian Honnold
'78 Ragtop.......tired of sitting in it making vrooming noises